it’s finally possible to jailbreak the Kindle Paperwhite 5.6.5! Some awesome person on mobileread.com who goes by the handle ‘Branch Delay’ figured it out a few months ago, but waited until Amazon had a chance to update and patch the firmware against the hack before releasing it.
Amazon just released Kindle firmware version 5.7.2, so BD, true to their word, released instructions on how to jailbreak the Kindle Paperwhite (versions 2 and 3) running firmware 5.6.5.
Your Kindle should probably be in airplane mode at the moment, if you currently have firmware 5.6.5. If you just got your Kindle, put it in airplane mode immediately before the firmware updates itself automatically.
TO Jailbreak your Kindle:
- Download the jailbreak file. It should be called jb.zip.
- Unzip the jb.zip file and open the jb folder. Find the file inside called ‘jb’.
- Connect your Kindle to your computer and open it (just like a USB).
- Copy the jb file you found in step 2 onto your Kindle. Make sure not to put it inside a folder or anything.
- Eject your Kindle from your computer, turn off airplane mode and connect to Wi-Fi.
- Open the Kindle experimental browser and go to ‘kindlefere.com/jb/’.
- Follow the instructions there. They should involve clicking a couple of links on the page.
- When the jailbreak tells you to run ;fc-cache, open up the Kindle search function, type in ;fc-cache and then the return/enter button.
- When the jailbreak completes (you should see a message saying it was successful), turn airplane mode back on.
- Download the jailbreak bridge file. Unzip it and find the file called ‘Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin’.
- Connect to your computer again and put the Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin file onto your Kindle.
- Eject the Kindle from your computer, then go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] -> Update Your Kindle.
TO install KUAL (Kindle Unified Application Launcher):
- Connect your Kindle to the computer, download the KUAL-v2.6.zip file, unzip it and put the KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 file into the documents folder on the Kindle.
- Eject the Kindle and check for the KUAL application in the list of books.
TO install the KUAL MRpackage installer:
- Connect your Kindle to the computer, download the kual-mrinstaller-1.6.N.zip file, unzip it and put all the contents onto the Kindle. There should already be a folder called ‘extensions’ on your Kindle; make sure not to delete or overwrite anything already inside it.
- Eject the Kindle, run KUAL and check there is a menu item called ‘Helper’.
From here you can install the screensaver hack, and all sorts of other wonderful things (KOReader, anyone?)
The original instructions explain how to install the screensaver hack, so I suggest you follow them if that’s what you want.
If you have any comments or questions, please let me know below!